Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day 3 - Mud Mud Glorious Mud

I'm determined to train again tonight, even before Darbster rang me to make sure of it. Jack's at his mate's house so I invite Alasdair to join us.

It's starting to rain as I drive into the village to pick them up. Jack questions whether I really want to go out in such weather, especially as I am wearing a white tee-shirt. I dismiss his concerns but do don the dark storm jacket ( I really do have all the right gear, this was a gift from Mr November who was besotted with marathon training at the time) to save his embarrassment. It's bad enough his mate seeing his Mum in cycling shorts, let alone as a becellulited wet tee-shirt entrant.

Jack and Alasdair have brought along a rugby ball to pass to one another as we run. Jack is over-enthusiastic. Alasdair is not. It ends up in a ditch before I have even stashed my handbag away in the boot. Jack wades in to fetch it. He starts to sink. The water level is remarkable high for this time of year, but then we are next to one of the biggest rivers in the country, responsible for draining over 1/5th of England. It is lashing it down by now. I am relieved when he climbs out, even if he is covered in thick, black oozing, foul-smelling goo right up to his knees.

We start to run. The rain is torrential. There is a crack of thunder so loud it makes my ears ring. I start to doubt whether this is such a good idea. The lane is exposed. All around is flat farmland, broken only by telegraph poles, before us the floodbank, looking squat beneath the heavy sky.

In an instant forked lightening hits one of the poles up ahead. There is an audible crack and the village perched on the hill behind us, is plunged into darkness. The sky is a funny colour. This isn't Kansas anymore.

I immediately turn around and sprint back to the car. It takes almost 2 days for the seats to dry out properly.

Distance: 0.2miles ( but done at twice the pace, particularly the second half)
Time: 20mins looking for rugby ball, 5 mins running

Breakfast: Bowl of Shreddies
Lunch: Tuna salad sandwich
Dinner: Peppered Mackerel salad ( with homegrown tomatoes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home